Alchemy Law proudly brings together over 100 years of collective legal experience in the specialist areas of mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, corporate and company law, competition law, regulatory compliance and litigation, and commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
Our practice areas include:
Unprecedented volatility in the global financial system means more risk and uncertainty, a less borrower-friendly environment and more restrictive financing terms – changing the way business is financed. We can advise you on:
- Acquisition & leveraged financing
- Asset-based financing
- Commodity & trade financing
- Borrowing base financing
- Loans & credit facilities
Against the backdrop of extraordinary flux in the financial sector, a number of issuers have had to go to market at speed, to raise capital or access much-needed cash resources. We have also seen the need to restructure a number of debt instruments. Typically acting for issuers or underwriters, we can advise on:
- IPOs, public offerings & follow-on offerings
- Accelerated bookbuilds, institutional offerings & private placements
- Listings, dual-listings & de-listings
- ADR/GDR programmes
- Bond and note programmes, whether stand-alone or in conjunction with a leveraged acquisition
- Recapitalisations, reorganisations & spin-offs
- Securities regulation
Our team has completed many unprecedented transactions in South Africa, including first asset-backed conduit, first synthetic securitisation, and first SA high yield bond.
Alchemy Law offers an array of capabilities to support investment decisionmaking, backed by deep expertise across diverse industry sectors. We help clients during the valuation, structuring, and execution phases of securitisation, reinsurance, and other structured finance transactions.
As a result of severe financial distress, we have also seen a scramble to shore up cash, restructure balance sheets and renegotiate financing terms. With strategic attention to what is core and what is not, we have also seen various role players disposing of assets, especially in Africa and other developing markets.
Our partners have a reputation for assisting clients with all types of disputes and a proven track record when it comes to resolving them quickly, effectively and to clients’ satisfaction.
Alchemy Law advises local and international clients on competition (antitrust) law as it relates to:
- mergers and acquisitions, where we offer full transactional support in obtaining regulatory approvals from the competition authorities; and
- the general conduct of business to comply with South African competition regulations.
As clients look for assets and an entry into new markets, we are able to advise on:
- Public mergers & acquisitions
- Private mergers & acquisitions
- Joint ventures & strategic alliances
- Divestitures & corporate reorganisations
- Post-acquisition integration
- Corporate governance & compliance
While it is essential for corporate South Africa to commit to Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment, there are numerous complexities involved.Alchemy Law can help your business to gain an understanding of government strategy and policy on B-BBEE, including compliance requirements, the interaction between Codes and Charters, and the relevant legislative issues in structuring and financing B-BBEE transactions.
Our specialist practitioners have extensive experience in many key areas of public law, including public procurement, public finance management, constitutional law, administrative law, municipal law, regulatory and health law.